Making a lactation cookie of my own has been on my to do list for a while now. But, with buying a house and moving and now catching back up with our stores, I finally had to make time to get these cookies made. You see, I woke up the other morning at around 3 am with a stabbing toothache. It prompted me to make a dental appointment only to learn I need to have my wisdom teeth taken out. I knew it would happen sooner or later as it does with most people but this really isn’t the greatest timing. I haven’t pumped a single ounce ahead of time and since I’ll be sedated during the surgery, I have to pump enough milk ahead of time for someone else to feed Kaliah for the 12 hour or so period of time that the sedative is in my system. With a trip to the west coast planned for the first weekend in August, this has to happen quick so I can heal to some degree and not be totally miserable on our trip (or worse, loopy from medication). In an effort to boost my supply a little quicker so I can get my dental work done sooner, I whipped up this yummy lactation cookie recipe.
I came up with this recipe after looking around at the on the internet and not really finding one that I felt would suit my specific lactation cookie preferences. I’m a cookie snob, it’s true. 😉 I used some of the general ratios as an idea and kinda went for a cookie that was packed full of beneficial ingredients aside from boosting milk supply so that they could be a quick energy booster for anyone. Plus, you don’t have to feel guilty snacking on a few either. 😉
Lactation Cookie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup molasses (Can substitute coconut oil or butter)
- 1 1/2 cup raw sugar (Can substitute)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (Can substitute all-purpose or alternative flours)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 fenugreek tablets
- 3 cups steel cut oats (NOT instant oats!)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 3-5 minutes.
- Cream butter, sugar and molasses together.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Mix in flax seed.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Open 12 fenugreek capsules into the mixture and sift together.
- Add dry mix to the wet sugar mixture. Mix .
- Add in oats and mix.
- Add in chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds.
- Bonus Options::If you want a cookie that will do double duty to boost your milk supply, add in 3 Tablespoons of Brewer’s Yeast.
So what about these helps your milk supply?
Oats are great for replacing iron that nursing mothers lose. They’re also kinda filling and act as a comfort food which helps you relax. Relaxing is key to breastfeeding in general, especially if you are stressing about your supply. Flax seed has all kinds of healthy omega 3 fatty acids and the pumpkin seeds, well, they’re just plain tasty. Fenugreek has long been known to aid in lactation and since I had some sitting around, I chose to use that supplement as my main galactagogue. You can also choose to either substitute for Brewer’s Yeast or if you’re brave, you can use both. I say brave because you may just wake up soaked in the middle of the night. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 😉
What’s the verdict?
Well, after eating these the first night I made them, I woke up with completely full feeling. I nursed my hungry baby on both sides and still pumped 8 ounces! If you try out our recipe, please let us know how they work out for you!